R. Lawrence Spooner
Lawrie Spooner is a business lawyer whose practice includes commercial and corporate transactions, drafting and advising on leases and other contracts, real estate and mortgages, and commercial secured loan transactions. Lawrie has acted as a senior legal adviser to banks and other lending institutions for over 35 years. He also acts for law firms and companies across Canada and outside Canada, advising on commercial transactions and secured transactions within British Columbia.
Lawrie articled in 1977 with Harman & Company and was called to the Bar of British Coumbia in 1978, joining the firm as an associate lawyer. He has been a partner since 1981 with Harman & Company and its merger successor Crease Harman & Company (now Crease Harman LLP). Lawrie has frequently been a guest lecturer to the Professional Legal Training Course for articling students at the University of Victoria Law School on subjects of real estate and mortgage transactions since 1989, and has assisted numerous students in the Business Law Clinic as a mentor. He has also given public courses and lectures over the years on various topics including real estate and secured loan transactions. He has served as Treasurer, Secretary and Chairman of the Victoria Real Property Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- University of Victoria, 1970 to 1972
- University of British Columbia, 1972 to 1977
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), UBC 1974
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) UBC 1977
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Victoria Bar Association
- Member, Commercial and Real Estate – Vancouver Island Section of the B.C. Branch of the C.B.A.
- Member of the Council of Governors of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce
- Chair of Transportation Committee 1995, Chamber
- Vice-President Economic Expansion 1996, Chamber
- Executive Vice-President of Chamber, 1997
- President of Chamber, 1998
- Past Treasurer, Secretary, and Chairman of the Victoria Real Estate Property Section of the Canadian Bar Association
- Served for several years on Victoria Bar Association Executive Committee
Lawrie is a member of the Council of Governors of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce, having served as a Director from 1994 through 1999, including roles as Chair of the Transportation Committee, Vice-President of Economic Expansion, Executive Vice-President, and President (now called Chairman) of the Chamber. He sat on the Board of the Destination Marketing Commission and was appointed by the Mayor of Victoria to a Mayor’s Civic Task Force. He served as a Director of the Greater Victoria Film Commission. He was appointed a Revising Officer for Elections Canada by Judge Tyrwhitt-Drake and he served for several years on the Victoria Bar Association Executive Committee. Lawrie has served on the Board of a number of charitable societies and continues to serve as legal advisor to a number of charities and to a variety of religious organizations involved in real estate transactions.