Firm History

Crease Harman is the oldest law firm in British Columbia – extending back to 1879. The firm’s legacy is founded in a number of partnership lineages, including the Crease line (1891), the Davey and Pooley line (1879), and the Davie and Bodwell line (1885). The firm has a long and distinguished tradition of providing valuable and insightful legal services.

The Early Crease Years:

In 1858 Henry Crease became the first barrister qualified to practice as a Barrister of Her Majesty’s Court of Civil Justice for Vancouver Island. His son, Lindley Crease, followed in his father’s footsteps and founded his own firm in 1891. Frederick Fowkes was the managing clerk. Five years later Lindley’s younger brother, Arthur Crease, was called to the Bar and joined the firm – which then became known as Crease & Crease. Frederick Fowkes was called to the Bar in 1909 and became a partner in the firm the following year .

Amalgamations:

In 1940 Crease & Crease amalgamated with the firm of Davey & Baker. Five years later there was another amalgamation with Lawson & Davis (which in turn was a prior amalgamation of Davey and Pooley with Davie and Bodwell). In 1949 the firm moved from the Central Building, where it had been for thirty-seven years, to 530 Bastion Street. The firm adopted the name Crease & Company in 1957.

Crease & Company moved from the Bastion Street offices to the Bentall Building in 1964 where it occupied the top floor. In later years the firm expanded into the 7th floor and an inside stairway was built between the two floors. Crease & Company amalgamated with Harman & Company in 1992 and became Crease Harman & Company.

Present Day:

Effective December 17, 2009, Crease Harman & Company became Crease Harman LLP. Crease Harman continues to occupy the 7th and 8th floors of the Bentall Building, or the TD Bank Building as it is now called, and continues the tradition of excellence and trust.